Saturday, August 04, 2007

Shocks and Surprises...

It rather gives a person a nasty sort of jolt to realise they have only one week left somewhere when they thought surely it was longer... But the fact is, I have only one week left in Europe before heading off to the North American Continent. Mind you, I am looking forward to that experience, but it is the goodbye on this side of the pond that makes me sad.

Right now I'm in UK, having taken a bus across the continent to get here. Yes indeed. Definitely one of the best things I've ever done in my whole life, taking the bus like that. :) Sure, a train would have been much better, but much more expensive. Going across the continent like that was something I have always wanted, and I was not dissapointed in the least. My passport also has now a lovely new stamp from France, where I crossed over by ferry from Calais to Dover. That was, if I may say, one of the absolute best parts of the whole experience. And yes, the cliffs of Dover really are white, and yes, they are wonderful to watch, rising slowly from the water as if nothing more than a low fog at first sight. My determination to one day cross the Atlantic by boat has been reinforced. Someday I shall indeed sail into New York Harbor.

A word of advise for the traveller by bus, however: make sure, if you buy an open-ended ticket, that the return trips are not filled up for the next month. It could cause a rather inconvenient glitch in your plans...

Time is running, tick-tock tick-tocking...

I've enjoyed this time in UK imensely, especially today... Walking along a canal after lunch at a local pub; going shopping in the next village over (and actually buying a few items that caught my fancy); birthday party around a bonfire (with really tasty roasted bananas & chocolate, among other things); playing piano in the reception room of a grand old English manor house; and tonight sleeping outside under the starry heavens.

And of course, making new friends and meeting new people--always the best of it all.

But then, that shouldn't be a suprise at all, should it?

2 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lada,

Glad you enjoyed you trip to England.
Have a good last week in Europe, before you head over to the other side of the pond.
And of course I hope you behave :-)
Jo

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dover's pretty amazing isn't it? Were you able to at least be in Dover on a sunny day? The cliffs always look better when sunlight reflects off it...

Pope C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home