Friday, January 19, 2007

Uganda at Last...



And the lady has arrived in Uganda, almost a week ago, actually…

I arrived safe and sound this past Friday, with all my luggage… and stepping outside the airport it was fairly easy to see why, at first glance, the people here call their country the “Pearl of Africa.” Absolutely beautiful. Monkeys were climbing all over the fence surrounding the airport, and beautiful flowers, from the marigold to the bouganvillia and hibiscus greeted me under the very bright sun. Ahhh…

This place has not been what I expected at all, though honestly I do not know what that was, exactly. One of the most striking things to me here is not the strangeness of the place, but the familiarity. I feel so comfortable here that sometimes it catches me by surprise. Kampala is a city of such contrasts… the Sheraton hotel and mud huts all here in the same city, for instance. But the surprising thing to me is that it is such a blend of all these other cultures I already know… One thing I will say for certain; Africa has had a huge impact on the culture of the Caribbean! So many similarities, from the architecture to the clothing colours to the food to the music and to many, many other things. I find myself more overwhelmed with memories than anything else.

Classes began on Monday morning, and I am thoroughly enjoying them for the most part. Most of our professors come from the University of Makerrere, though we only have one class that actually meets on that campus. Right now we are concerned a wee bit about the possibility of an upcoming strike there, that will inevitably effect us if it takes place.

We have so far enjoyed a drum and dance performance in an outdoor ampitheatre—the Ndere Drum Concert on Sunday, and just Wednesday went to the Kasubi Tombs, where the Kings (like Mutessa I) are buried. Interesting random fact; our guide at the Tombs was actually the grand nephew of one of the kings, and one of the girls we’ve met here is also a princess.

Beyond that, I am staying at one of the many guest houses here in the city, which is much nicer than I had expected. While my door will not close without being locked and the fan in the room didn’t work until day before yesterday… there is a door with a lock and a fan that now works…. The worst thing that has happened to me here so far has been me getting tragically locked in the WC for 15 minutes before I managed to break open the door. (And believe me, I really did break it, as the splintered wood and bent beyond repair metal prove…)

Having been properly educated about all the diseases, funguses, parasites, amoebas, and regular colds that I am bound to get, as well as all the terrifying aspects (such as going crazy) of the malaria medication I’m taking (Larium, for those of you who know and care), I am free to enjoy all the health hazards of the city life except the boda-boda’s. These are expressly forbidden… which having already seen several accidents involving them, I do not really mind.

Meals are fine here. Delicious thus far, actually. I am in more danger of adding extra padding than of starving. My favourite meal was the Friday night of my arrival, though, when I had roast goat and roasted plantains. SO good. I haven’t eaten goat in so many years… Also, I like the chapatti a lot, however you spell it and whatever it is (a fried flat bread of sorts)…

Enjoy the pictures and film clip, leave a note, and I will write again soon when I get back to this internet cafe!



One of the dancers at the Drum & Dance concert we went to...



View of Kampala








1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to see that you're suffering for Jesus out there and all that. Naw, It's cool to know that you're enjoying yourself and allowing God's creation to inspire you and leave you in awe (as it should). Looking at the pictures I was reminded of the view we had from our host home in Papakura New Zealand. It makes me a little nostalgic. I just have one question. What is a boda-boda? I'm guessing it's some sort of vehicle since you mentioned the accidents they had been in, either that or it's a brand of adult diaper. Either way, stay away.

Keeping you in my prayers;

Stefan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home