Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Greeting Lady Liberty

I suppose everyone on this side of the pond knows that in the USA, there is a law saying no drinking alcoholic beverages under the age of 21. That being the case, they have the necessary enforcement measures such as the one fondly referred to as "carding." This particular process would enfold something like this:

Unfortunate buyer: I'd like a red wine, please.
Steward: Right. (turns to drinks, but pauses with hand in mid-air. Turns back) I'm sorry, but how old are you?
Unfortunate buyer: Sorry? Oh, right. I'm [insert age over 21]
Steward: (hesitating still, wondering if ID should actually be checked) Ok. You know, you'll be happy someday to look younger than your age.

But it is not the carding of alcoholic beverages to underage or potentially underaged buyers. The question I raise is the carding of coffee to underage or potentially underaged buyers.

Yes, you did indeed read that correctly.

Coffee.

Now picture this scenario in your mind:
Steward: Now, what can I get you to drink, miss?
me: Coffee, thanks.
Steward: (turns to drinks, but pauses with hand in mid-air. Turns back) I'm sorry, but are you twenty one?
me: (feeling quite flabergasted, complete with dropping jaw) Excuse me?
Steward (Patiently) Are you twenty one?
me: I am twenty-two, actually. (brain racing franticaly to figure out what has happened that she's being carded for coffee)
Steward: Ah. Alright then. (turns to pour coffee)
me: I'm sorry, but... I don't understand!
Steward: (looks serious for a moment, then; burst of laughter) Ah, I'm just messing with you--it was a joke! (hands me my coffee)
me: Ah. (laugh) Okay...

And that, my friends, was my welcome back to the US of A.

Shock and confusion.

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Irish coffee I hear is pretty strong stuff. No wonder they feel the need to card people who ask for it. jgh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home