Sunday, December 23, 2007

Christmas Doings...

So, Christmas in Slovakia is beautiful as ever...

the skies are grey

the buildings are colourful

and the snow if falling slowly by slowly.

The Christmas markets are bustling, the music playing--magic is everywhere and I love it. I love this place. I'm glad to be here again.

Perhaps the best thing of all this year is my whole family being together again. I love the dynamics among us; love watching the friendships and hearing the laughter...even hearing the occasional growls, because I know we will forgive each other our shortcomings; love each other no matter what, no matter where.

I was just at a Christmas party tonight, at the house of a family new to my parent's church. They are British, having last lived in Budapest, Hungary, and are new to Slovakia since I was working here this summer. It was a lovely party, though... cookies and hot cinnamon oranges and turkey and a minced meat dish from South Africa (as well as minced meat pies from), and mulled wine and ah, so lovely! And of course, in the background futbal (soccer) playing on TV, and my little reporter Alexa whispering happily from her place on my lap that Liverpool just won earlier, and wanting to know do I play drums? (no, I don't...)

It was also interesting to look around the room when we all gathered together to sing; a room overflowing with

Brits

Americans

Slovaks

South Africans

Scots

Kirghistanis

(and) Antilleans.

And here we all were, together, from these many corners of the earth.

I believe in a whole world, and moments like that place a smile in my heart.

Now, in just a few hours on this side of the globe, it will be Christmas Eve. Now that I can hardly believe. Time always moves to fast too keep up with... But what would it be like should it slow down?

I couldn't say... but I think I like it as it is, so long as there is time enough for good relationships with friends and family; which in the end is a matter left to me, not time.

Merry Christmas, friends.

2 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vesely Vianoce, Bon Pasku, and Felice navidad to you, too. jgh

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home